Thursday, April 4, 2013

Let people inspire you, but don't think you own them!

I don't really know how to explain it, but I guess many writers can relate. It just happens to me all the time.

A character already existed before. Even though I could imagine what I wanted him to be like, I couldn't quite shape him and his background story. All of a sudden I see a picture of someone and BAM! The character comes alive. A waterfall of ideas hits me and I start writing almost magically, like it's automatic. Recently this inspiration has been the band 2PM, especially their member Lee Junho.






But it can happen with anyone. It may even be a person I've only exchanged a few words with or seen walk across the street. Very often I find ideas in songs as well. Inspiration is everywhere.

I just need to keep myself from falling in love with inspiring people and the music too much. It's not always easy! ^-^ You get attached to a chapter, you get attached to the song that inspired you for it. You get attached to a character, you get attached to the person that inspired you. It's somewhat inevitable. Some authors forget the line between reality and fiction - between character and inspiration. To my fellow writers: Never forget that these two are very different from each other.

Even though someone may have inspired you - they are probably nothing like the character you created. This doesn't only apply to some writers, but also obsessive fans. It's really easy to fall in love (with people you know, with celebrities you think you know), but falling in love doesn't mean owning someone. Neither does being inspired by someone. Any person you like - regardless of whether you know them or not, even if you're married to this person - they're not yours. You wouldn't want someone to think he/she owns you either, so if you really love that man/woman - Let them go, let them have their freedom, live their life as they want to. I've also learned from having been a terribly jealous person. With time I figured out not to take life and love too seriously. Serious enough to be sincere with my partner, but also tolerant enough to let him go if he wants to.

What makes it easy for me not to become obsessed with people? I've created these wonderful characters. They exist in my mind and nobody can take that from me.

So let people inspire you - but don't think you own them! ^-^






No comments:

Post a Comment